::Life's Little Mystery::

life requires lots of love, and loving brings life

Monday, March 08, 2010

Eye want to be free.

For the past 6 months now, I have been contemplating on getting my perfect vision back. I've been wearing spectacles and contact lenses for 15 and 10 years respectively and it has been giving me headaches, eye rashes, painful ears and marks on my nose-bridge.

I've been researching and asking around for advices, recommendations and listened to the stories of those who have gone through it. And I've finally geared up my courage and made an appointment to do a thorough check-up to see if I am a suitable candidate for Lasik.

The check-up was quite a funky experience. After the usual eyesight check-up, they proceeded to check the thickness of my cornea and my eye pressure. Now, how they do this is by numbing my eyeballs, and using pen-like instruments to poke my eyeballs. The funky part was when you know they are poking your eyeballs and you can't feel anything, but you can see the jelly like cornea moving. Surreal. The numbed eyeballs were fine, but when your eyes get their sensation back, it felt like your eyelashes is brushing against your eyeballs.

The last part was dilating my pupils, to check - err, I don't remember what. Maybe it was to see how big my pupils can get. And it really became huge.. like almost the size of my irises. Funky. The funny part is my near sight ability. A few hours to a day after my check up, I had to put anything I wanted to see / read at least an arm's length away. Like an old flower (lou fah).

Nonetheless, at least everything is normal and I am now anxiously waiting for my surgery this Thursday! Now the hard part comes in. Everytime I think about it, I'm nervous and excited at the same time. Nervous at the procedure but excited at not having to put on my specs or push my phone to my face whenever I want to see the time when I wake up. :)

The procedure goes like this -
1. Laser cuts open a portion of your cornea into a flap (they mentioned something about using the laser to produce bubbles to cut the cornea. I didn't get that. I got lost at the word 'cut my cornea into a flap').
2. Flip the flap up
3. Using laser to cut your eye lens into a shape that will refract the right image for me to see without any assistance of lenses. (It's like creating a replica of my lens in my eyes.)
4. Put the flap back down
5. Healing process begins
6. Move on to next eye.

Each eye takes about 20 seconds for the above I suppose. Now you know why I'm nervous.

Ee.. takutsnya.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

just 20secs??!? Omg can i b thre wif u?!?

Oh its me...lazy to change my id using phone rofl

9/3/10 9:44 pm  
Blogger Cass said...

good luck babe! i feel excited and nervous for you now :x

11/3/10 2:42 pm  
Blogger Nee Sern said...

waiting for the unveiling...

14/3/10 6:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home