::Life's Little Mystery::

life requires lots of love, and loving brings life

Friday, October 16, 2009

I see your true colours

When the Brazillian colleague left for the day, she gave my Exec Dir air kisses on both cheeks, telling us that’s how they say hello and good bye in Brazil while all of us just gave her a wave. And I was just thinking, she must think us Asians as an individualistic bunch, what with us being so anal about keeping our distance and close proximity should only be between people whom you are close to, family, spouse, friends, partners, etc.

Then I thought of how some Malaysians who adopted that way of greeting people – air kisses, wearing all hip hop-py, etc. I don’t know. I’m just a little, okay quite irritated at them, MALAYSIANS, born and bred in Malaysia greeting their fellow Malaysians with air kisses. Hello? You’re in Europe now kah? You’re greeting an European? You’re not Malaysian lah? You know the saying, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. So I would understand completely if you are in a place where it’s a norm for people to greet like that or you’re greeting someone who greets others that way. Heck even I have given air kisses to business associates hailing from UK, Aus, etc. But that’s because it’s their common way of greeting.

But come on la, like I said, if you’re from Malaysia, in Malaysia and are greeting people from Malaysia and in Malaysia, greet in the Malaysian way la. Wanna kiss kiss on both cheeks all, especially my BF’s cheeks!! Grr. Slap you ah! What a poser. I was jealous like that. And THAT was what I felt then la. Just like that Malaysian artist – trying to be all hip hop, rapper, with your blingblings etc. Seriously, if you were in Malaysian Idol against the Mat Rock from 2nd season, I would so have voted for the Mat Rock, just because he’s original.

Why should I care about how others want to live their lives right? It is after all their own experiences they are creating for their own lives.

I guess I was once like that too - trying to adopt a foreign lifestyle as my own just because it seems cool to be associated with it. But now that I am much older than I was at that phase and a little bit wiser, why shouldn’t I be proud of my own ‘rojak’ culture?

When I was in SG, I was so glad that I am Malaysian, we are like this special species where we could incorporate 3 different languages/dialects in one sentence during conversations. I am starting to embrace the little quirks that we as Malaysians do. The good ones la of course.

So my whole point is that, why try to be someone else? Are you that insecure in your own skin/culture that you have to adopt someone else’s? Take the time to appreciate the culture you are in, however screwed up it might be at times. At least it’s your own.

This is such a lengthy post stemmed from what happened today and the other day.

I may be biased coming from a jealous angle, but it’s my two cents lah.

Biar Ori, Jangan Copy. (supposed to be ‘Beli ori, jangan copy’ hehe)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Peanutxz said...

lemme add on to the list on how some idiots forget their roots n think being able to only speak english is the ultimate way of gaining success in the world.

Think liddat nvm!! descending that fucked up thinking to their next generations...opocot tak tahan sial.

My family ade byk budaks ciam tu. Cam lah bertutur bahasa cina atau melayu equals pariah. Diu.

Lol!!

22/10/09 12:35 am  
Blogger Lynnie said...

WALAO EH!

haha. damn tak tahan right? like i speak to u in another language other than english and u look at me as though i'm from Mars. Padahal u grew up in the same country as I do and my English marks is probably higher than yours in school.

23/10/09 12:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home