::Life's Little Mystery::

life requires lots of love, and loving brings life

Monday, May 24, 2010

Food Talk in Saigon

I am back from Saigon. Yummy yummy Saigon. Although I was not able to tour around this trip to visit the underground tunnel where the people hid and live during the war (apparently, it's just like a city below) and many other attractions, I have had the pleasure of satisfying my palette.

Pictures paint a thousand words, so lets have the pictures do the talking.

The hotel I stayed in was a 1 star boutique hotel, but I must say it has 5 star service. Every morning, I get room service breakfast. Nice way to start the morning. 

Continental breakfast & Vietnamese Pho Er

On the 2nd day, we had a barbecue pork rice for lunch. It looks simple and plain, but trust me, it tasted wonderful! Sweet and salty with the smokey barbecue taste.
The same place serves one of the best homemade yoghurt. So of course, nothing that is labeled 'best' goes untried right?

That night after our meeting, we all adjourned for team dinner at a Czech Republic Beer Hauz. One of the first Czech eatery and brewery in Vietnam and also where the Czech Republic Consulate is now based.
Bacon wrapped something. Memory of a fish, I don't remember!
Some barbecued fish & Pork knuckles with mash potatoes (if you're a potato lover, you'll love this mash potatoes)
Salmon Roe, Pate, butter and some leaves.

No pictures of food for the third day but I went to a chain restaurant called "Wrap & Roll" where you are required to wrap and roll your own Vietnamese springroll. What interest me was how they take such a simple and traditional food and turned it into a contemporary food concept together with the design of the restaurant itself.

On my last day, my journey of interesting food continues. We went to this place at some back lane at Binh Thanh market and tried some Central Vietnam dishes.
Shrimp + some rice paste + fish sauce + something else | The wanton looking thingy is similar. :)
Some traditional sweet pastry - glutinous-y sweet paste with coconut. I'm not sure what the rest were because we didn't have any space left in our stomachs for them. 

Other things that are interesting in Saigon:
Which side of the road are we in?
RM24 for a pedicure + nail art. This is considered one of the more high end prices. 
Clotheless kids playing with boxes by the streets. 

But after all these, I must say that I couldn't surpress that grin on my face when I felt the wheels of my plane landing on the LCCT runway. One week abroad alone is enough to make me feel all excited to be home where I can share my experiences with people who matters to me.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Peanutxz said...

bacon wrap is slightly sweet isn't it? the one at cristang is awesome!! let's go there for dinner instead!!!

omg everything looks yummy. hungerssss

25/5/10 1:19 am  
Blogger Ken Wooi said...

the food looks nice =)

25/5/10 1:43 am  
Blogger Lynnie said...

px: it's sweet and salty at the same time. Awesomesauce! ok, this time we better make it to at least one of our dinner dates. -_-

kenwooi: Thanks! and they taste very nice as well. :)

27/5/10 11:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home